A pregnant woman’s body is challenged, changed and stressed in many ways
It is not uncommon to experience leg cramps during pregnancy, particularly in the third trimester. According to Danforth’s Obstetrics and Gynecology, almost half of all pregnant women suffer from muscle spasms in their legs, with cramping more frequent during the evening. Leg cramps may be caused by the additional weight gain of pregnancy and changes in your circulation.
Massage can help give relief from muscle cramps, spasms, and myofascial pain, especially in the lower back, neck, hips, and legs by increasing blood and lymph circulation, which can reduce swelling. Massage can also reduce stress on weight-bearing joints.
* Using your fists, press into the sides of your hips just below the hip bone. Make slow circles with your fists pinning your fists firmly into your body so that you are not sliding over the skin. Move your fists a bit foreword and repeat.
* Push the base of your palms into the sides of your hips at the hip bone and slowly push downward towards the sides of your thighs. A little bit of lotion may help you slide smoothly but be careful not to use too much or it would be difficult to get any traction.
* Lean your body to one side and use the base of your palms to push into the back of your hip sliding down over your rear end with pressure. Repeat as many times as necessary to cover as much of the back of your hip as you can reach. Make sure to give equal time to each hip.
* Use your finger tips to pin your skin to the crest of hipbone between your lower back and rear end. Make small circles starting at the spine and moving out over the bone towards the side of your hip.
* Use either your thumbs or the back of soft fists to push down over the front of your thighs starting just under the points of your hips in the front.
* Any thing you can do with your legs will be great while you can still reach. You can gently beat your thighs with your fists, stroke up toward your hips from the knee or to the knee from the ankle. Anything to get the circulation going.
* Make circles with your finders tips all around your knees and ankles.