Some basic guidelines to keep the peace…
By: Claire Sulmers
Article as seen on realsimple.com featuring tips from Corry Matthews.
- Don’t hog the water fountain. “If you’re filling a huge bottle, let the person who needs a quick drink jump in,” says Corry Matthews, an expert trainer with Gold’s Gym Fitness Institute.
- Replace free weights and dumbbells after using them. “It’s an issue of safety and courtesy,” says Matthews. “Free weights on the ground are safety hazards. Also, if the next person wants a 10-pound dumbbell, she shouldn’t have to search to find it.”
- Don’t change the channel on a TV meant for public viewing. “If you absolutely can’t miss that episode of American Idol,” says Vince Corsaro, acting director of the office of program development for the YMCA, “just ask the people currently watching if it’s OK.”
- Don’t leave during the relaxation segment of a yoga class. “Wait until the class is done or leave before,” Matthews says. “Leaving at that time is like nails on a chalkboard to true yogis.”
- Cancel at least a day in advance for personal-training sessions. “Generally, if you give 24 hours’ notice, you won’t be charged,” Matthews says.
- Remove the extra weights from the machine when you’ve finished so the next person doesn’t have to, says Jason Pulido, vice president of personal training at Crunch Fitness.
- Mark your territory by placing your towel or water bottle on the machine you’re using. “But don’t disappear for more than a couple of minutes,” Matthews says.